Vietnam Info

« | Main | »

What is an I-171H???

By Shannon | January 17, 2007

An I-171H is probably the most important document to the adoption process. It is the single piece of paper that will allow us to adopt a child from another country. Read below…

The I-171H – “Notice of Favorable Determination Concerning Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition

When the USCIS approves your I-600A, they will send you form I-171H, “Notice of Favorable Determination Concerning Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition.” You should also request that notice of this approval be sent to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country from which you plan to adopt. In a nutshell, the I-171H states that you are approved to adopt a child from the foreign country you specified way back when you completed your I-600A.

Your I-600A petition approval remains valid for 18 months from the date of approval. You must re-file your I-600A petition if it expires (there is an “expedited” re-filing procedure available). (It’s important to note that your fingerprints will only be valid for 15 months – you will have to have your fingerprints retaken if they expire.)

We will be waiting a while for this piece of paper. This document is the culmination of all of the paperchasing we’ve been doing the last month. The person who signs, seals & delivers this paper will have taken a look at our home study, our I-600A, and our FBI fingerprints, and has deemed us suitable to adopt internationally. Once we receive this piece of paper, we will have a completed dossier (or two, if we are approved to adopt two children. Once the dossier(s) are complete, they will travel from our house to the Secretary of State to be notarized, return home, and then travel to DC, or Cali. to be authenticated by the Vietnam Embassy.

Topics: Uncategorized | No Comments »


You must be logged in to post a comment.